Saturday 10 November 2018

Noho Marae - Mahitahi

On Wednesday 7th November our class went on our second noho for the year. This time we went to Mahitahi (Bruce Bay) to stay at Te Tauraka Waka a Maui marae. 

It was a 3 and a half hour drive and we stopped at Harihari domain to have morning tea and Fox Glacier school to have lunch, arriving at the marae about 1:30pm. 

We were welcomed by some of the whanau of the marae and had a kai with them afterwards. 

We spent most of our time there inside as it rained and then we were late back on Friday night as there was so much rain the roads between Bruce Bay and Hokitika were shut due to flooding and slips. 

We still had a lovely time though and we heard the stories of the wharenui and marae and got to see lots of beautiful carvings and tukutuku panels.









4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your recount about Noho Marae. I believe the carvings are magnificent especially the ones with the pounamu faces. Mahitahi is a beautiful place. I loved the ruggedness of the beach and remoteness. I am pleased you had a great time and got back safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Te Hiringa,
    Your Noho Marae at Mahitahi sounds like it was lots of fun despite the rain. I remember making tukutuku panels when I went to Noho Marae when I was at intermediate school. Thanks for sharing the photos, the sea looks pretty rugged! Had any of you been to Mahitahi before?
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi my name is Piper.the marae looks amazing I would like to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. to the class I like your class avechis that you gis have i wish I could go on those trips to from Delilah at Yaldhurst model school

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your your positive, thoughtful, helpful korero.