Monday 27 August 2018

Arahura Marae visits

This month, August, our whole school has visited our local marae, Arahura Marae, just north of Hokitika. 
We have 360 students at our school so that was too many to go at once. We were split into 4 groups and the groups had both older students and younger students and some in the middle syndicates. This way we ended up with buddies, like a tuakana/teina system. It meant we had to help each other out.

We had about four practices per group going and our class, Te Hiringa, helped lead these. We had to teach the rest of the school about the powhiri process and what happens and why it happens.

We loved our trip there and listening to the stories about the marae. 


7 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Te Hiringa,

    I really like the way you have been out to the Marae. This reminds me of the time when I went to this Marae. I really enjoyed going to this Marae. Maybe next time you could say what you did at this Marae.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Aimee

      Thank you for the compliments and for the advice, we might have to think about that next time.

      Delete
  2. Kia Ora Te Hiringa

    It's Caitlyn here from Totara 3. I'm glad that you guys had a really good time. What was the most favourite part about going to the Marae? I have to say, I had a great time there too. I was a bit nervous to do my Mihi, but I did alright. And I loved the stories too. Did you enjoy going to the Marae? Thanks for sharing! From Caitlyn, Totara 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    My name is Alodia and I'm from Owairaka school.I really liked looking at the photo. It reminded me of my first time going marae. If you want to see my blog, here is the link https://odsalodiake.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi my name is jordy i really liked looking at the photo .it reminded me of my first time going to a marae.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia ora Te Hiringa,
    It's been awhile now since you went to the marae but what an opportunity it was to learn more about your marae. Can you remember any of the stories you heard? I like hearing the stories about the Tipuna of Aotearoa and what amazing people they were.
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  6. kia ora im Olivia from yaldhurst school

    you brought me back to when i went to the marae it was very far away it looked like you had a nice time

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your your positive, thoughtful, helpful korero.